Monday, October 2, 2017

Living Prophets and Apostles Speak to the World

This past weekend we had the wonderful opportunity to view General Conference which was  broadcast from Salt Lake City to our worldwide membership.

lds.org explains that "general conferences are the semiannual worldwide gatherings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Church members gather to receive guidance and encouragement from Church leaders about gospel living, based on the teachings of Jesus Christ."

President Henry B. Eyring said:  "Gathered in this meeting, which stretches across the world, are millions of disciples of Jesus Christ who are under covenant to always remember Him and serve Him. By the miracle of modern technology, the separation of time and of vast distances vanishes. We meet as if we are all together in one great hall."

As we gathered with about 100 members of the Belize City branches I too, felt as if we were all together in one great hall.   We were able to watch along with millions of members in 197 countries in 95 languages through the miracle of modern technology.

This was our view from the Belize City chapel.
This was the view from Dave and Janelle's home in Rexburg, Idaho as they gathered with their family, Sam, and friends for scones before conference.   Renee, Dave, Rachel, and Lisa watched with my brother and wife, Craig and Lynn, in Sandy, Utah.  Bryce and Kristine watched from their home in Camp Pendleton, California.
This was the view of conference from the Conference Center in Salt Lake City.
After the Sunday morning conference session, we were able to feed the missionaries lunch here in our home.  They are always a joy to be around.  
One of the talks which touched me was in the Saturday afternoon session of Conference where Elder Rasband, one of the Twelve Apostles, talked about "divine consequences".

"Significant events unfold in the gospel and in the Church that further the kingdom of God on earth. They are not by accident but by God’s plan. …

… What may appear to be a random chance is, in fact, overseen by a loving Father in Heaven. … The Lord is in the small details of our lives, and those incidents and opportunities are to prepare us to lift our families and others as we build the kingdom of God on earth. …"

His words reminded me of many "consequences" that have happened to us here as we have had the opportunity to meet and teach some of our brothers and sisters in Belize.  We have just happened to meet people at bus stops, in our neighborhood as we go on walks, as we are doing our errands, etc.  As Elder Rasband explained, these meetings aren't by chance.

This is a short clip from Elder Rasband's message where he talks about his "chance" meeting with someone whose life he has touched.
And then there were four!  (senior missionary couples)   Last Tuesday we were blessed to pick up Elder and Sister Gotcher from the airport as they begin their mission here in Belize.  They will be serving in Belmopan.   This is their third mission as a senior couple.  Their other missions were to Indonesia and Kenya. 
Elder Magnusson welcomed home Elder Woods at a branch activity who just returned from his mission to the Dominican Republic.
Ever since I got my mission call, I wondered who I would get to cut my hair in Belize.  As I talked to several senior sisters who have served here in Belize in the past, they told me they just had their husbands cut their hair, or they let it grow out to put up in a pony tail.  I decided to go ahead and let my hair grow out.  Well, that lasted 4 months.  Because of the heat and humidity, I figured out that long hair and me were not a match.  I feel blessed that I found Laura who did a marvelous job of cutting my hair this past week.  Laura is another one that wasn't by chance that I met, and is  one of my new friends here in Belize.  
Elder Magnusson went for a jog this morning. It started to rain...then pour. Such is life here! You are wet from the rain or from the humidity.  

1 comment:

  1. General Conference was wonderful. We watched from home and I loved that it was Salt Lake Time instead of two hours later.....Priesthood is one of my favorite sessions. Although it is now broadcasted, it was shown at the Stake Center which is where my hubby went with our son to watch it together. Please tell the once Elder Woods hello from us! How nice to have another Senior Couple! CARRY ON! Love, The Alicos

    ReplyDelete