Monday, January 22, 2018

There is a Prophet on the Earth Today

Last Tuesday, we watched the message from the new First Presidency announcing important changes following the passing of church president, Thomas S. Monson.  We know that the Lord will always communicate to His children through His chosen servants.

The Old Testament tells why prophets of God were needed anciently: "Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets."  (Amos 3:7)

The New Testament confirms why a prophet continues to be needed, even after Christ's coming: "And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets...Till we all come in the unity of the faith...That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine." (Ephesians 4:11, 13, 14)

World conditions today make it even more imperative that we continue to receive God's direction through living prophets, as we prepare for the coming of Jesus Christ. Russell M. Nelson, president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is God's prophet on the earth today.
We know from the New Testament that when Christ called his apostles He asked them to leave their nets and serve Him.  Likewise, when Elder Nelson was called to be an apostle in 1984 he was asked to leave his "nets" (career) as a renowned heart surgeon, and serve Him.

Matthew4:18-20  
18 ¶ And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers.
19 And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
20 And they straightway left their nets, and followed him.

What better way to be introduced to President Nelson than through the eyes of a child.
You can also see the video by clicking here
There are many articles that have highlighted the life of President Nelson.  I like the one that was recently published in the Deseret News that is titled:  Who is President Russell M. Nelson? A man of heart, compassion and faith.  You can read the article by clicking here.   
Dr. Russell M. Nelson performs cardiac surgery.
Elder Russell M. Nelson shares a personal story to give encouragement for when we feel "weak in the heart."  He knows first hand about dealing with heartaches, as he has dealt with the death of his wife and a daughter.
You can also see the video by clicking here or read the script below

I was in a small airplane, and all of a sudden the engine on the wing caught fire. It exploded, and burning oil was poured all over the right side of the airplane. And we started to dive toward the earth. We were spinning down to our death.

Oh, this woman across the aisle, I just was so sorry for her. She was just absolutely, uncontrollably hysterical. And I was calm. I was totally calm even though I knew I was going down to my death. I was ready to meet my Maker.

We didn't crash. We didn't die. The spiral dive extinguished the flame. The pilot got control and started the other engine up. We made an emergency landing out in a field. But I thought, through that experience, if you've got faith, you can handle difficulties, knowing that with an eternal perspective, all will be well.

In Luke 21, the earth shall be in distress, "nations, with perplexity; the [seas] and the waves roaring; men's hearts failing them for fear." What we're seeing is a prediction that in these latter days, people will be afraid. Men's hearts are failing, and that includes women, because they forget their identity and their purpose.

The heartaches will come. I've lived through the death of a wife and the death of a daughter. I've seen the troubles that divorce brings. Children or grandchildren go astray. Disability, illness, injuries.

To the individual who is weak in the heart, fearful in the heart: Be patient with yourself. Perfection comes not in this life but in the next life. Don't demand things that are unreasonable, but demand of yourself improvement. As you let the Lord help you through that, He will make the difference.
I'm so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ that allows me that kind of strength in these tumultuous times.

Here are some pictures of our life from the past couple of weeks.

On a walk we passed a local tortilla maker.  You can see that the corn is soaking in large black pots in preparation to be made into corn tortillas. Then they will be made on a grill above an open flame under the canopy roof.
The next two photos were taken on the same day.  One scene is from a walk in Belize and the other one is from a scene from a walk near our daughter's house in Salt Lake City.  Guess which photo is from Belize and which one is from Utah.  
In a house we visited, we noticed an unusual wall decoration. When I asked about it, the response was "Yeah, I killed and ate it before he killed and ate me."  Okay...
I want to highlight two other videos by President Oaks and President Erying to help get to know the two other members of the First Presidency.

I was touched by Elder Oak's teaching that we should  love everyone no matter our differences.  As I talk to people on the streets, I can honestly say that I love my brothers and sisters here in Belize.
You can also see the video by clicking here.

I remember when Elder Eyring gave this message about finding ways to recognize and remember God's kindness.  I have kept a journal since I was 20 years old and it has been a blessing to me to go back and see God's hand in my life.
You can also see the video by clicking here.  

3 comments: