Monday, March 12, 2018

A Special Visitor Comes to Belize

Since moving to Belize, I am reminded that God loves and cares about all his children wherever they live in the world.  He cares about His children in our hometown of Duarte, California, in Argentina, Oregon, and Chile where our children served their missions, in Holland where my ancestors came from, and also His children here in Belize. As a matter of fact, He cares for all His children all over the world.

As I think about God's love for all of us, I know He has a plan to reach out to everyone. We learn on lds.org  that during Christ’s mortal ministry, He called the Seventy, instructed them in a manner similar to the Twelve Apostles, and sent them out “before his face,” explaining that those who heard their voices would hear His voice (see Luke 10).

This past week, we heard His voice through his servant Elder Gerrit Gong, of the Presidency of the Seventy, as he came to Belize as a part of his Central America visit.  He was accompanied by Elder Jorge Zeballos, also of the Seventy, President Eric Adams, Mission President, and their wives. They spoke to a special gathering of Belizean saints gathered in the Belize City chapel on Thursday night, and then to all the missionaries of the country on Friday.

The Belizean saints gathered from across the country, with some traveling up to 2 1/2  hours by bus to attend.
 Members enjoyed meeting Elder and Sister Gong
 Elder and Sister Gong with the Grey family from Corozal
Elder and Sister Zeballos greeting the Gomez family from Orange Walk
Meeting on the Ambergris Caye with San Pedro Branch President Williams (red shirt) and his family. 
 Missionaries gathered for breakfast before the arrival of Elder Gong and Elder Zeballos on Friday morning.
Elder Gong (second row, right) and Elder Zeballos (second row, left) with all the missionaries serving in Belize.

As missionaries, we have the opportunity to gain new friends. When we can reunite old friends who haven't seen each other in a long time, it's even better. Joel Muñoz, president of the Belize City Branch and of former professional fame in a Belizean band, teamed up with Lewis Chan, an accomplished musician on the saxophone, to play together in our house following dinner. What a treat it was for us!

Seminary Super Saturday involved 60 church members, including Seminary students, their teachers, leaders, full-time missionaries, senior missionaries and the mayor of San Ignacio. We painted concrete benches and the gazebo in one of the city parks.
One of the youth said "This is the first time I have ever done a service project.  I've never done anything like this before.  It feels good."
After our service project we all gathered at the San Ignacio chapel where we did some Seminary activities, played sport games, and sang karaoke.
We love working with the other senior missionary couples -- Elder and Sister Adams and Elder and Sister Flake.
The Adams--over Seminaries and Institute in Belize--along with the local leadership of Sister Kay and the other Seminary teachers of the Cayo district did a marvelous job coordinating everything.   Elder Adams noted, "We appreciate the great cooperation of everyone that came. It could not have happened without them."

On Sunday we attended the San Pedro Branch. It is interesting to travel there on the water taxi for the hour and a half trip, and ponder the majesty of Heavenly Father's creations.
Sister Alden of San Pedro and I were able to be with the Primary children as we taught them to follow the example of Jesus.
While in Primary, I loved teaching the children the song, "If the Savior Stood Beside Me" by Sally DeFord.  The words of the song carry a powerful message not only for children, but to all of us.

If the Savior Stood Beside Me 
by Sally DeFord
If the Savior stood beside me,
would I do the things I do?
Would I think of His commandments,
and try harder to be true?
Would I follow His example?
Would I live more righteously
if I could see the Savior standing nigh,
watching over me?

2. If the Savior stood beside me,
would I say the things I say?
Would my words be true and kind
if He was never far away?
Would I try to share the gospel?
Would I speak more rev’rently
if I could see the Savior standing nigh,
watching over me?

3. He is always near me,
though I do not see Him there,
And because He loves me dearly,
I am in His watchful care.
So I’ll be the kind of person
that I know I’d like to be
if I could see the Savior standing nigh,
watching over me.
You can listen to the music by clicking here

It's always a good day when we can pick up some fresh vegetables...



1 comment: