Sunday, October 14, 2018

Belize Welcomes More Missionaries!

Elder and Sister VandeMerwe (right) from Cincinnati, Ohio, arrived this week to begin their mission. But they are not new to us.  Elder Magnusson and Elder VandeMerwe were college roommates 42 years ago. We are so excited to have them here.
Currently, we, Elder and Sister Flake (middle), and the VandeMerwes are the senior couples serving in Belize.

Six experienced young missionaries also arrived this week from El Salvador. Their enthusiasm for the gospel of Jesus Christ and commitment to serve the people will be a blessing throughout the country. 
The plane arriving from El Salvador was a little late, which made it too late for us to drop the sisters off at the bus terminal.  No problem; we enjoyed having them spend the night with us.
When morning came around, we were able to drop them off bright and early at the Belize City bus terminal for their three hour bus ride home to Corozal. 

It's not every day that you get to celebrate someone's 72nd birthday.  But, we were able to do just that with our dear friends, the Bartons.  
Lawrence Craig is the owner of Belargo Printing in Belize City that we frequent. Lawrence recently returned from the Central America Masters Track Meet in Costa Rica where he earned a gold medal in the long jump, gold medal in the triple jump, and bronze in the shot put.
A new self-reliance initiative "How to Start Your Business" kicked off today with groups in Belize City and Orange Walk. Enthusiasm was high today at the orientation.
Attending this baptism today reminded me of my own baptism 54 years ago this month. 
Watch your fingers! A common sight: slicing open coconuts with a machete for the water.  Coconut trees abound in Belize and we're told its liquid is very healthy. 
A highlight of watching General Conference last week was listening to the Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square sing the hymn, "It Is Well with My Soul".  We had never heard the hymn before.   As we sat listening to it in the Belize City chapel, it was obvious that it is a beloved hymn of the Belizean saints as several in the congregation sang like angels along with the choir.  We have listened to the hymn several times this past week and, truly, "it is well, it is well, with my soul."  
You can also see the video by clicking here

It Is Well with My Soul
Text:  Horatio Spafford/Music:  Philip Bliss   

When peace like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say
It is well, it is well, with my soul

It is well
With my soul
It is well, it is well with my soul

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul

It is well (it is well)
With my soul (with my soul)
It is well, it is well with my soul

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, o my soul

It is well (it is well)
With my soul (with my soul)
It is well, it is well with my soul

And Lord, haste the day when thy faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul

It is well (it is well)
With my soul (with my soul)
It is well, it is well with my soul

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! How sweet is that that roommates from 42 years ago are reunited on their Senior Couple missions!! Looks like you are having the time of your life and that Belize is in good hands! Give folks our love, please. CARRY ON!!!

    ReplyDelete