Sunday, October 28, 2018

Moving to Succotz

This past week has been memorable as we finished orienting the VandeMerwe's to the rest of their new areas. Elder Magnusson has enjoyed getting reacquainted with his BYU college roommate of 42 years ago, as they walked from the chapel in San Pedro to the water taxi.  
We rented bikes on Caye Caulker to visit church members on that island.

The entire, dedicated Belize City District of missionaries gathered for their weekly district council meeting. The Corozal sister joined us via Skype.
The Corozal missionaries, Sister Quiroz and Sister Steinhorst, are enthusiastic representatives of Jesus Christ on the northern border of Belize.

Saying goodbye to dear Belize City community members hasn't been easy. Hubert Martinez, (left photo) night security guard at Brodies Supermarket, and has always greeted us as we have gone on morning walks through Brodies parking lot on our way to the seashore. Kenny and his wife (right) operate Kennys Hardware where they have made many copies of  keys for us.
We now live in San José Succotz, in the western Cayo district, three miles from the Guatemala border. Succotz is rural compared to the city life of Belize City. We live upstairs.  
This is the view from our back window.  
Looking out our front window.  The pink Succotz library is on the right, and the village soccer field in the foreground.

It was inspirational to participate in the sustaining of the new Cayo District presidency on Sunday. Amin Salazar of San Ignacio (third from the right) is the new district president, with Luis Peraza of Belmopan (fourth from the right) as 1st counselor, and Gilly Can of Succotz (second from the right) as 2nd counselor. Mission President Eric Adams (second from left) presided at the district conference.
As we attended the Cayo District Conference meeting Saturday night, Sister Flake played a beautiful arrangement of "I Need Thee Every Hour" on the piano.   Enjoy the Tabernacle Choir's rendition of the song in the video.   
You can also see the video by clicking here
"I Need Thee Every Hour" is a hymn I have grown to love on the mission.  Whenever I have the opportunity to play the piano for Sunday services, I try to include this hymn as part of the prelude music.  As I play it through the music, I am reminded that I do indeed, "need Thee every hour". 

1. I need thee ev’ry hour,
Most gracious Lord.
No tender voice like thine
Can peace afford.
CHORUS
I need thee, oh, I need thee;
Ev’ry hour I need thee!
Oh, bless me now, my Savior;
I come to thee!

2. I need thee ev’ry hour;
Stay thou nearby.
Temptations lose their pow’r
When thou art nigh.
CHORUS

3. I need thee ev’ry hour,
In joy or pain.
Come quickly and abide,
Or life is vain.
CHOURS

4. I need thee ev’ry hour,
Most holy One.
Oh, make me thine indeed,
Thou blessed Son!
CHORUS

José Lemus, president of the San Ignacio Branch, has a creative way to let people know that he is a proud member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  
I was interested to watch this Mormon Newsroom video about the efforts of hundreds of volunteers who helped those afflicted by Hurricane Michael.  
You can also see the video by clicking here
From mormonnewsroom.org:
“Your faith strengthens our faith, and your devotion makes us want to be more devoted,” said Elder David A. Bednar to hundreds of Church members gathered Saturday evening in Tallahassee, Florida.

President Dallin H. Oaks also offered words of comfort, “Afflictions and obstacles are the reality of mortal life.” ... “If we are faithful and prayerful, the Lord helps us get through them.”

3 comments:

  1. I know you will bless the lives of these saints and many other people in your new area. Our love sails across the ocean to you both. Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Exciting! Succotz is going to be so different from Belize City! If it still happens, there is a night (I think on Friday, but maybe 2 nights a week) when the Branch President's wife sells hot dogs for dinner and I think it was like 50 cents each.....Elder Alico and I would make it our "date night" and enjoy visiting their family as we ate. We saw some of the art work that their family did, too, while we visited with them. Succotz is also the town with the 2 brothers who live next door to each other who carve the slate. We ordered a carving from each brother: one of the Washington DC Temple with FAMILIES ARE FOREVER and one with the "B's" President Hinckley listed.....it's also the town we met the woman who carves pink hearts out of conch shells in her back yard.....she sells them on San Pedro.....we often wonder if the green house in the back of the Chapel is being used. There was a very big YSA group there, too. Please give everyone our love! CARRY ON!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much of what you post reminds me of my own missionary experiences in Neighboring Honduras. Thank you for sharing so much of what you do.

    ReplyDelete